We were recently approached by the Director of Bilingual Education for Sri Lanka’s National Institute of Education, G. H. Asoka, with a request to donate some textbooks to them for use in teacher development courses on bilingual education. In this post the Director tells us a bit about the National Institute of Education and how the books we’ve donated will be used.
Sri Lanka’s National Institute of Education (NIE) is the apex body of developing curriculum of Sri Lankan general education. Its role consists of four tasks: advising the Minister of Education in any succeeded government, teacher development, curriculum development and educational research. The department offers services on bilingual education and foreign languages addressing these four areas.
The books donated by Multilingual Matters will be used in the teacher development courses on bilingual education initiated islandwide and several will be kept in the library of the Institute and for the use of the Department of Foreign Languages and Bilingual Education.
The NIE is a national service with links at international level too. As the Director of Bilingual Education, I am responsible for these four tasks in line with bilingual education in addition to National Curriculum Development in general education.
There are different types of projects run under different educational disciplines. In 2019 the projects being run with regard to bilingual education are as follows:
- Action research programme with 40 researchers in 2019 islandwide
- Trainer-trainer programme on CLIL
- Awareness programmes for different stakeholders such as parents, principals, ISAs, teachers, directors and other stakeholders of education
- Five research reports on learning in bilingual education
- One research report on pre-service teacher development in bilingual education
- School and cluster based bilingual education programme islandwide
- Handbook on Sri Lankan CLIL
- Teacher Moderator Manual on CLIL
- Research conference in the Eastern province on Bilingual Education
- National Curriculum Framework on bilingual education
- Publishing the research journal
- Reviewing articles in international journals
We’re pleased to be contributing to the important work the National Institute of Education does and hope the books we’ve donated will prove useful.