Following the worldwide outbreak of coronavirus, we are now all working from home. A few members of the team regularly work from home and are veterans of the practice, but for the rest of us it’s taking some getting used to! For anyone else who’s adjusting, we thought we’d put together some top tips for a successful day working at home.
- Treat it like a normal working day as far as possible. Get up at the same time as usual and shower, get dressed etc. Don’t get your laptop out or scan through emails until your ‘start time’ in the morning, and when you finish for the day, put your laptop away.
- If possible try to get some natural light and fresh air before you start work, even if it’s just leaning out of the window to drink your tea.
- Have a designated working space, ideally a desk, but definitely not your sofa or bed!
- Get up and move around once an hour.
- Try to get outside for a stroll at lunchtime and, if possible, repeat after work too.
- Make sure your lighting is good to work by, ideally natural light near a window.
- Drink plenty of water and have snacks on hand.
- Depending on how efficient your heating/insulation is, it might be chillier at home than in the office. Make sure to layer up and invest in some good slippers!
- Try to keep up communication with your colleagues as much as possible. We use an instant messaging platform to keep in touch with each other throughout the day.
- If you’re missing the hubbub of working in an office, the radio can be a good substitute. You could also do a collaborative playlist with your colleagues that you all listen to at the same time, as we’re planning!
Take care everyone!